Monday, April 09, 2007

The Money Shot: 4.9.07

Today's headlines...

Music business suffers a long, cold winter (Reuters)
The Money Shot: "We are seeing a customer dislocation," says Mike Dreese, CEO of Newbury Comics, a 27-store chain based in New England. "A lot of people are confused about where they shop, and it's changing their habits ... it takes a while for people to find new stores."

Important Announcement (Drivebytruckers.com)
MS: It's with a wide range of emotions and feelings that I'm announcing that we have parted ways with Jason. The split, which I consider extremely amicable is the result of a period of personal and artistic growth from all sides which has left us with differing dreams and goals.

Jason joined our band, mid-tour, in the fall of 2001, shortly after the release of our 4th album (Southern Rock Opera). His impact on the band was immediate and profound, bringing an awe-inspiring combination of vocal range, guitar dexterity, and amazing songwriting and leading us into an era of creativity that has resulted in three albums that I will be proud of for as long as I live.


Now That's What I Call Awesome (Entertainment Weekly)
MS: Instead of pop hits by the likes of Xtina, Rihanna, and Hinder, however, this as-yet-untitled series will feature songs from artists such as Bloc Party, the Shins, Bright Eyes, Air, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, M. Ward, Ted Leo, Cat Power, Silversun Pickups, and the indie-in-spirit-if-not-in-label Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Sonic Youth.

''These bands' records sell really well to a particular audience,'' says Adam Shore, the publicist for Vice Records, which aims to release the first volume this July (they're already the American home to high-profile acts Bloc Party, the Streets, and Charlotte Gainsbourg). ''But even though these artists are getting all this media exposure, they're not necessarily crossing over to a very casual record buyer.'' The plan of action? ''We're partnering with MTV2, and the focus is going to be Walmarts, big box stores, red states, and TV advertising — to really go beyond.... We don't really expect indie-rock stores to support this record. It's for the casual fan.''


Icon, Me? (Scotsman)
MS: "I never wanted to be a rock'n'roll singer. I wanted to be an artist or a poet - that's what I studied, what I knew, and even now it's hard for me to say I'm a singer. I'm intermittently good as a singer, but I know I'm a good performer. Not a musician. So my self-esteem does not rely on my participation in rock'n'roll. I'm proud to have a connection with the evolution of rock'n'roll, but when I think of myself it's as a worker and writer and mother."

Farewell To Obscurity (Scotsman)
MS: Many bands affect a self-conscious air; others regard any level of success as a sell-out. But in the case of Camera Obscura, the reticence was real. Once, the prospect of walking on stage caused Campbell to break into a cold sweat. Now they've been on the road so much that touring has become a way of life. "We're rock'n'roll soldiers," she jokes. Briefly back in Glasgow, she doesn't know what to do with herself. "So I've starting baking jam tarts. I'm trying to become a domestic goddess.

Jay Farrar enjoying the journey (Chicago Sun-Times)
MS: Farrar, a man of few words, doesn't enjoy rehashing those stormy days, but he will admit to a moment of indecision after Uncle Tupelo's breakup.

"I didn't immediately know I wanted to start another band," Farrar said, pausing. "I think I even considered leaving music, but it only took a couple of months to fully realize I couldn't do anything else."


Majors dive, indies thrive: Two sides to CD sales story (Boston Herald)
MS: “When Tower Records went under, it took a lot of indie labels with it,” Dreese said, “but just like the independent record stores that are left, the indies left tend to be stronger and smarter. It’s a Darwinian thing. These small labels are owner-operated and can make quick, smart decisions where Universal has to go into the board room. Sometimes it’s better to be a speed boat than the battleship.”

No comments: