Wednesday, February 20, 2008

R.I.P, No Depression

It's a sad day... One of the magazines that most influenced the music you hear on Musical Justice is calling it quits after thirteen years. I think I started picking them up at the newsstand with Issue #3 (Steve Earle) and was a permanent subscriber by Issue #10 (Whiskeytown) in 1997. I never missed an issue after that.

When I launched Musical Justice in January 2000, the original name was Alt-Twang and the focus was heavily alt-country. I used to read that thing from cover to cover to get the lead on a new band. Over the years, as bands like Wilco strayed from alt-country and bands like the Jayhawks & Whiskeytown faded away, both the magazine and the renamed Musical Justice evolved into something broader. But neither of us forgot the organic roots music that put us on this path.

No Depression will carry on in reduced form online here. You can read their announcement there, but please also give them some support.

A little over a year ago, we nearly lost WOXY. Now it's No Depression on the ropes. And of course, Musical Justice was almost done in by the royalties batttle. Hard times for quality music these days...

No comments: