Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Money Shot: Bowie Ooh's & Ah's For ScarJo, Sowing Wild Oats with Greg Dulli & That Mobile Video Thing Might Catch On...

More headlines...

Bootleg videotapes of concerts flourish (Columbus Dispatch)
MS: "We're dealing with thousands of people on a given night," said Blake Schilling, director of event services at Nationwide Arena. "We do the best to our ability to catch everyone. Obviously, when you're talking about thousands of people, it's pretty difficult."


David Bowie: 'Scarlett Johansson's performances are mystical' (NME)
MS: “The songs are great, really good Tom Waits stuff, and Scarlett's performances are mystical and twice cool. She creates a mood that could have been summoned by someone like Margery Latimer or Jeanette Winterson.”

However, the veteran artist played down his contributions to the record, saying: “I've seen the press on this and I suppose the record company wanted to spin my involvement a little more than it actually warrants. All I contribute are these oo's and ah's on a couple of tracks."


From down in the dark: The Gutter Twins step into the light (Drowned In Sound)
MS: "I’ll start by saying that I regret nothing and I’ll say that sowing my wild oats probably got in the way of productivity. But it was fun! I think what happened with the Whigs was that by the third record we had scattered to the four winds. When you’re a democracy, trying to get four guys in the same place for any length of time becomes more of a challenge and it actually began to hinder the creative and productive process. By the time we tried to mount it again it was just strange and unnatural. Something that had been like waking up in the morning and drinking a glass of water had become like algebra. That was when it was time for me to leave. We all left as friends and we still are. Then I worked on the first Twilight Record and laid low for a while, that’s when I bought my first bar. So I was running that and enjoying leading a structured life for the first time. For almost two years I was kind of afraid to write songs because writing songs would eventually mean I’d have to go on tour and I really didn’t want to."


Listen to Musical Justice

No comments: