Monday, August 13, 2007

The Money Shot: 8.13.07

The latest headlines...

50 Cent threatens to quit music (NME)
The Money Shot: In an interview with SOHH.com, 50 Cent said "Let's raise the stakes. If Kanye West sells more records than 50 Cent on September 11, I'll no longer write music. I'll write music and work with my other artists, but I won't put out anymore solo albums." (EDITOR'S NOTE: Let's call his bluff...)


Man punched for singing Coldplay song (Seattle PI)
MS: As soon as the man on stage started singing about the stars in his best Chris Martin impersonation, the woman reportedly said: "Oh, no, not that song. I can't stand that song!"

Witnesses said her distaste for Coldplay quickly took a violent turn, and she leaped at the would-be crooner, shouting expletives and telling him that his singing "sucked," while expressing the same opinion of the song, according to a Seattle police report. (NOTE: Now THAT's what I call "Musical Justice"!)


Interview: Iggy Pop (Pitchfork)
MS: The way I feel today, I don't want to write any more fucking songs. Fuck it, my brain hurts, and I'm sick of hearing that's good, or I get it, or I don't get it. It's too dumb. It's not dumb enough. Oh, shut the fuck up. Leave me alone. I'm not gonna write anymore, boo hoo. I probably can't live out the depths of psychic travel that I once could to animate my contribution to a song. I can't do that, so I try and pick my shots and work as hard as I can at it, and usually in a very short time, cause it's not gonna be any good if it took more than five minutes to happen.


Pearl Jam not first to be censored by AT&T (Chicago Sun Times)
MS: An AT&T spokeswoman initially characterized the sudden audio edit that silenced Eddie Vedder’s lyrics “George Bush, leave this world alone” and “George Bush, find yourself another home” during Pearl Jam’s performance in Grant Park last Sunday as “an unfortunate mistake” and “an isolated incident.”

But yesterday, a reader e-mailed the Sun-Times saying AT&T’s Blue Room Webcast also had silenced comments during two performances at the Bonnaroo Festival in Tennessee last June, cutting remarks by the John Butler Trio bemoaning the lack of federal response to Hurricane Katrina and comments about Bush and the war in Iraq by singer Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips.


QOTSA Nixes Samsung/AT&T Concert Appearance (Billboard)
MS: Queens Of The Stone Age will not be playing the inaugural Samsung/AT&T Summer Krush concert series. Organizers tell Billboard.com that the rock act, which was scheduled to play the free series' Aug. 13 opener at the Music Box at the Fonda in Los Angeles, has backed out for undisclosed reasons.

No comments: