Monday, August 27, 2007

The Money Shot: 8.27.07

Today's headlines...


In a Posse's Strength: An Interview with Tori Amos (Popmatters)
MS: My parents, when they heard the song ["Big Wheel"] for the first time were in my truck and I was driving them down the coast somewhere in Florida. They heard the album in my car, on my truck stereo while we, you know, just got a little picnic and drove up and down. And they had the lyrics in front of them. [Laughing] My dad is half deaf, but my mom’s not. He turned around and said “Mama, what is this M-I-L-F? What is that Mama?” Mom said [affecting a genteel Southern-accented imitation of her mother, the famous Mary], “Oh Ed, I don’t know what that is. What does that mean?” And I just said “Oh, Mom, let’s just not.” [Again doing her mom’s voice] “Oh dear, what? You think I’m born yesterday? That I can’t handle your shocking information?” And so I told them. And my father blushed and my mother roared. You know, as a minister, he knows that I live to try and bring sexuality into a place of acceptance and goodness. Just because you are in touch with your sexuality doesn’t mean you’re demonic.


Digital music services try to nibble away at Apple (Yahoo/Reuters)
MS: Several digital music service providers -- including MTV's Urge, Rhapsody, Verizon Wireless, Wal-Mart and Yahoo Music -- have unveiled new forays designed to shine light on their struggling services in the shadow of Apple's still-dominant iTunes.

While no individual effort is likely to dislodge Apple from its No. 1 position, all are clearly efforts to chip away at its commanding lead. According to data from NPD Group, Apple controls 73.7 percent of the retail digital-music market, with more than 3 billion tracks sold since it went live. iTunes is also the third-largest music retailer of any kind, surpassed only by Best Buy and Wal-Mart.


Billy Corgan: "American girls are sluts" (NME)
MS: Midway through the set stage cameras panned the crowd, which included a scantily clad young woman, about whom Corgan commented "There's something about a girl who's willing to take her top off so quickly."


Raconteurs Spill A Few New Album Beans (Pitchfork)
MS: "Ok, the time is right. The teurs have a lot of new songs in the works people, the writing and structure of them has dissipated and reinvigorated and many times over since we came home from our last shows."


Sloan Is Back (Toronto Star)
MS: "It'd be hard to see how much money you could make just by putting out singles because we depend on radio play. In order to rely on someone to work your song on radio, you really have to be selling an album."

No comments: