Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Money Shot: Universal Decides To Censor BYOP, Pumpkins Sue Virgin Over Pepsi Promo, & Why Bands Need Health Insurance...

The latest news...

Rock and Roll May Never Die, but Sometimes It Gets Sick (Wall Street Journal)
MS: “We found that magic combination of people that have been with us for a while, and we want them to stay,” says Stefani Scamardo, who manages the band and also DJs on Sirius satellite radio. “We had an entire band and crew that have no health insurance, and that was troubling.”


Universal Axes Be Your Own Pet Songs Due to Violence (Pitchfork)
MS: "When I found out that the songs were going to get taken off, I was just like, 'Is there anybody I can talk to?' It's like, I don't even really know who these people are. There's no one you can talk to to try to argue your case. Other than that, Universal has been great. But I guess that's just what happens when you decide to have something to do with a major label. They're going to be scared of anything that's not completely cookie cutter."

"I also feel like it's a good thing to have an outlet. Like, maybe I would be a very violent person if I didn't have the chance to sing about what I want to sing about and express things I want and it's definitely helped me from being a destructive person in my life. And I think tons of people relate to that, so it's kind of frustrating that they want to censor me or whatever."


Smashing Pumpkins sue over 'integrity' (CNN Money)
MS: Virgin put out the Smashing Pumpkins' music for more than 17 years, but the only active agreement between the two parties, the lawsuit claimed, is a deal granting Virgin permission to sell digital downloads of the band's songs. The agreement does not give Virgin the right to use the band in promotional campaigns to sell outside products, the lawsuit said.

The band members said they would "never grant such authority to Virgin, or any other entity."


Listen to Musical Justice

No comments: