Friday, April 11, 2008

The Money Shot: Dulli Calls Out Pitchfork & Stereogum, Katie White Is So NOT Getting Naked For You, & Is Feist Jumping The Shark?

Tough day for Stereogum in today's headlines...

Interview: The Gutter Twins (Pitchfork)
MS: I think the Shins and Iron and Wine make nice music, you know? I don't know a lot about them but I've heard some stuff. You just kind of like what you like. Even when I was on Sub Pop, luckily, I liked Mudhoney, I liked Tad, I liked Nirvana, I liked the Fluid, I liked L7, I liked Cat Butt. So I did like the bands they were putting out. When they first started putting out Mark's solo records that, to me, was their first turn into another style of music. He was certainly trying something new but...I like what I like, I don't really associate it with towns or movements of labels.

I listen to new music frequently. Jeff Klein, he plays keyboards in our group, he's like 29 or 30, he turned me on to Pitchfork and Stereogum and stuff like that. I don't really read much music stuff but I was aware of this kind of-- and I'm going to get killed for saying this-- snarky hipsterism, exclusionary thing. It's like, "We listen to bands that haven't even formed yet." That punk rock thing of trying to be cool...


Ting Tings Singer Rejected FHM Shoot Request (Gigwise)
MS: "In our last band we were at Mercury and in the first ever meeting they brought that up. I was literally like fuck off!" explained the singer.

Katie showed her strong willed side by saying: "It's the last thing on earth I would do."



The Question Mark: Is Feist Still Indie?
(National Post)
MS: 5. Rotate This, Toronto: "Feist isn't indie, no! Absolutely not, stereogum* called her the iPod lady with the counting song. It wasn't my decision to make a kazillion, gazillion dollars. I love her her backing band, though: they're indie as hell," Kevin Hegge, Rotate This, Toronto
*Stereogum is an indie music blog. And yeah, we hadn't heard of it either.


Listen to Musical Justice

No comments: