Monday, December 05, 2005

The Money Shot 12.05.05

David Byrne and Pete Doherty on the lam? Read on...

David Byrne In Trouble with The RIAA?
The Money Shot: The RIAA issued me a warning based on a previous radio playlist that featured all Missy [Elliot], all the time. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which was passed by congress in 1998, was a hastily thrown together measure (in my opinion) which aimed to protect the music industry from the impending apocalypse. While some parts of the law seem reasonable, other aspects went somewhat overboard to protect the interests of the industry, before folks even knew what would be developed, invented or what half the terms actually meant.

Mould Says 'No' to Husker Du Reunion
The Money Shot: In the recent reunion-heavy climate, with everyone from the Pixies to Slint to Gang of Four rejoining on the stage, the idea of a Husker Du reunion has graced more than a few tongues. His revisiting of old material seemed to fuel those flames. And still, despite embracing his past successes, Mould is content to laugh off such an endeavor.

Arcade Fire Go To Church For Next CD
The Money Shot: Guitarist Tim Kingsbury told NME.COM: "We're going to start recording. We just bought an old church just south of Montreal and we're turning it into a recording studio. Win (Butler) and Regine (Chassagne) they both sort of had a fantasy of buying a church. "

Hatfield Keeping Her Shirt On
The Money Shot: "I can't compete in today's marketplace anyway," the 38-year-old said. "Mainstream culture is gross. People with the most amazing talent are taking their clothes off to sell their music. I find it disgusting and I'm not a prude. Aretha Franklin never put on a bikini to sell records. Would she have to if she was starting out now?"

Patterson Says New DBT is 'Blessing and a Curse'
The Money Shot: After the last two years of writing a lot slower than I’ve tended to write most of my life, I hit a real super-prolific streak. And I think it’s the result of the pressure of writing a new record, it kind of got me off my ass, and all the stuff that’s happened with having a baby and all of that. Plus at the studio, there’s a lot of downtime where you’re just stuck there. So I wrote a fuck-load. I’ve probably written three albums worth of material.

An Interview with Tommy Ramone
The Money Shot: "We were driving in our van and we pulled into a rest stop. We went in to use the facilities and as we entered the rest stop owner comes up to our road manager and goes, “It’s nice of you taking care of these retarded kids.”

On the Road with We Are Scientists
The Money Shot: The itinerary has them sticking to the northeast, starting at NYC's Bowery Ballroom January 12 and hitting Buffalo, Toronto, Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland and Baltimore before wrapping at Philadelphia's North Star.

Doherty Facing Hard Time
The Money Shot: "I hadn't even told my mum I was back from Arizona and then I got nicked," he continued. "I feel really bad for doing this to her. I'm pretty sure though that I'm going to get in trouble - and I really think I'm going to prison this time.""I can't go back to prison. I can't - I don't think I could take it."

Coming Attractions... The Minus 5
The Money Shot: For the seventh album from his chamber pop collective the Minus 5, the former Young Fresh Fellow has thumbed through his massive rolodex and come up with the kind of guest list indie rock wet dreams are made of: R.E.M.'s Peter Buck, Wilco's Jeff Tweedy, John Stirratt, and Glenn Kotche, the Decemberists' Colin Meloy and John Moen, the Posies' Ken Stringfellow, Sean Nelson of Harvey Danger and the Long Winters, singer-songwriter-author John Wesley Harding, alt-country chanteuse Kelly Hogan, and, why not, Ministry's Bill Rieflin and Mott the Hoople’s Morgan Fisher. (Minus 5 indie cred points.)

No comments: