Thursday, July 17, 2008

R.I.P. Katie Reider

I was saddened to find out that one of my favorite singer-songwriters has passed away at age 30 from complications of a disfiguring non-cancerous facial tumor. I first heard Katie ten years ago when her debut CD, Wonder, came out. Tracks like "Piece of Soul" and "Shaken" were in heavy rotation in the early years on Musical Justice. You might have heard some of her songs on TV shows like "Dawson's Creek". I always expected big things from her pure voice... now silenced.

Like many musicians, the costs of her illness won't be covered by health insurance and now are passed on to her family, her partner and two kids. Take a listen to her on these videos and please take a moment to visit the website that was set up to tell her story and raise funds for Katie's care, 500kin365.org. At that site, for a $1 donation you can download Katie's Voice, a collection of 9 songs spanning her career.



No comments: