Monday, June 09, 2008

The Money Shot: That Promo CD You Own... Well, Labels Think It's Theirs...

"I was clearing out some cupboards and decided to list a CD single on eBay that had been handed to me by a friend quite some time ago. The very next day, the listing was removed and I was astounded to get an e-mail from eBay, bristling with terms such as 'illegal, pirated, copyright law, violation, content protection' and so forth. I can understand it if I had been selling a crateload of bootleg live CDs, or had burnt off albums worth of official studio stuff and was trying to sell them as if they were new and originals. There was also a sinister hint from eBay that if I ever put on a promo single again, then I could have my account with them suspended. This seems like both the record labels and eBay taking a hammer to a nut, although eBay are probably terrified of any action from the media companies." "

- Music firm 'goblins' in copyright war

Listen to Musical Justice

No comments: