Monday, November 19, 2007

The Money Shot: Slammin' Slacker, Dissin' Wal-Mart & The 80 Percent Minority...

More headlines...

The 80 Percent Minority (The Age)
MS: "There is general reluctance among radio stations to draw a line in the sand and say we're a female station," Stevens says. "They think they would be missing out on 50 per cent of the market but, based on our research, they would be capturing so much more because women make or influence 80 per cent of consumer purchase decisions. Radio executives think the women's market is just a niche. My answer to that is, 'Yeah, it's the 80 per cent minority.' "


Slackers (Redeye Chicago)
MS: With the Slacker Portable, "a selection of songs from your favorite artists is transferred to the Slacker portable player from your PC. New songs are added every time the player is hooked up. They are stored on the player, so you don't need an Internet connection to listen.

Hey, Dennis ... 1985 called. They want their idea back. So what you have for me is a player that chooses songs -- I can't choose them except for telling the software what music I like in general -- and then downloads them to a portable device that I can take with me anywhere I go?


Band of Horses Turn Down Wal-Mart TV Ad (Pitchfork)
MS: "Some fans, they don't even give a crap," he continued. "They're like, 'Whatever, bands got to get paid.' But at the same time, I was reluctant to do it in the back of my mind, and some fans reminded me there is a reason to feel that way about it. So once I saw our fans were let down by it, I nixed the TV commercial, and said, 'You know what, this isn't for me. Keep your money.'"



Listen to Musical Justice

No comments: