Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Money Shot: Flaming Lips Alley, OiNK=Google?, Free Reznor Project & Comcast F's W/BitTorrent

The latest headlines...

Oink Founder: We're Just Like Google (Telegraph)
MS: “I haven’t done anything wrong. I don’t believe my website breaks the law. They don’t understand how it works. The website is very different from how the police are making it out to be. There is no music sold on the site - I am doing nothing wrong. When I set up the site I didn’t think I was doing anything illegal and I still don’t. There are 180,000 users and there has been an outcry about what has happened to me. People who download music also buy CDs as well. A lot of people download music on the internet to get a taste of it and then later buy the CD. But I don’t sell music to people, I just direct them to it. If somebody wants to illegally download music they are going to do it whether my site is there or not."


Saul Williams Gives Away Reznor-Produced LP (Pitchfork)
MS: "There are obvious similarities in how Radiohead just released their new record and the way we've chosen to. After thinking about this way too much, I feel we've improved upon their idea in a few profound ways that benefit the consumer."


Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent (CNET)
MS: "Comcast has made a major mistake in attempting to hinder peer-to-peer file sharing as an aspect of its network management," Boucher said. "The inability of customers to (share files) significantly diminishes their ability to utilize the Internet for one of its most important applications, which is user-to-user content." He also noted that "file sharing is already being used for a wide variety of perfectly lawful and appropriate applications."


The Flaming Lips alley dedicated in Oklahoma City (KOKH Fox 25)
MS: With a giant, three-dimensional globe as a backdrop and flanked by fans outfitted in Santa suits and green alien masks, The Flaming Lips front man Wayne Coyne thanked city leaders for the honor.

No comments: