Monday, September 17, 2007

The Money Shot: 9.17.07

Today's headlines...

Dave Grohl finally opens up about Courtney Love (NME)
MS: "There are a lot of people that I've been angry with in my life, but the one that's most noted is Courtney. So it's pretty obvious to me that those correlations are gonna pop up every now and again."


8 questions for musician Will Butler (Rocky Mountain News)
MS: I see how universally the world is screwed up. It's not just an American creation. I think Canada may be the least guilty nation in the whole world. It's a remarkable place because the whole old world has a lot of baggage with it as well. That's what my eyes were opened up to - the rest of the world is (screwed), too. It's not just the States."


Interview: Lou Reed (Pitchfork)
MS: The myth-- depends on how you look at it, but the myth is sort of better than the truth. The myth is that I made it to get out of a recording contract. OK, but the truth is that I wouldn't do that, because I wouldn't want you to buy a record that I didn't really like, that I was just trying to do a legal thing with. I wouldn't do something like that. The truth is that I really, really, really loved it.


The 25 Biggest Wusses... Ever (Blender)
MS: 1 Mr. Sensitivity - James Taylor
Like pro wrestlers, some musicians have cool nicknames: Jerry Lee Lewis is “The Killer” and Jerry Butler was “The Iceman.” But James Taylor calls himself “Sweet Baby James.” And we know what babies do, right? They cry all the goddamn time. Setting morbid boo-hoo-hooing tales of suicidal friends (“Fire and Rain”) and visits to a mental institution (“Knockin’ Round the Zoo”) to lullaby melodies and soft-rocking acoustic guitar in a series of hits starting in 1970, this lanky, genial North Carolinian perfected what Elvis Costello once called “the ‘Fuck me, I’m sensitive’ school” of music. In the soft, caring, unruffled voice of a marriage counselor, he initiated an era of confessional, listen-to-my-troubles singer-songwriters and turned excessive self-examination into a hallmark of the baby-boom generation.


Music Industry to Bundle Ringtones in "Ringle" CDs (PC World)
MS: A ringle is packaged as a regular audio CD, but only comes with three songs and a ringtone. A ringle CD will include a hit single by an artist, a remix song, an older track from the artist and a ringtone version of the hit. In order to redeem the ringtone you have to pop the CD into a PC for online verification.

No comments: