Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Money Shot: 4.10.07

Today's headlings...

The White Stripes reveal album release date (NME)
'Icky Thump' - the follow up to 2005's 'Get Behind Me Satan' - is slated to be released on June 18 in the UK and Europe via XL Recordings, and June 19 in North America, South East Asia and Japan via Warner Brothers Records.

Albert Hammond Jr.: Stroking the Muse (Harp)
MS: It was more simple than that: I’ve been writing since I started playing music and recording, and I felt like I had these songs… I decided to leave the safety of my house and see what kind of sound I could get out of my recording studio. I met this guy who I liked who produced the record [Greg Lattimer], and we just did a song and it sounded great. It was fun, and the next time I had a break from the Strokes, I just went and did another two songs and that was fun, too. We kind of found a really cool vibe between us in the songs. And songs just seemed to be coming out, new and exciting songs; and before I knew it, I had a record.

Rock legends played 'truth music' (CNN)
MS: On March 31, Sly Stone played a live show at the Flamingo Las Vegas. Stone played for more than 30 minutes and then, according to comedian George Wallace, who booked and presented the musician, "went down the center aisle and thanked everybody."

He beat the odds, too: Vegas bookmakers were offering 45-1 that Stone, who has missed dozens of concerts over his career, would be a no-show yet again.


REM warn fans over Dublin shows (NME)
MS: R.E.M. have warned fans not to buy tickets for their upcoming Dublin shows from unofficial sources after tickets for the dates went missing in transit between Ireland and the UK. The disappearance of the tickets for the Olympia Theatre residency is now the subject of a police investigation, reports RTE News.

Lily Allen enraged over satirical track (NME)
Posting a comment on the 'LDN Is A Victim'Myspace page, Lily Allen fumed: "So what if we're middle class? Just cause your mum was too lazy to get her fat ass off the sofa and make some cash. I shouldn't be able to make tunes yeah? (Which is more than you're doing by the way)."

Neko Case brings a gorgeous voice and underwhelming songs to Madison (The Daily Page)
MS: I guarantee no one who was at Neko Case's sold out Barrymore show on Monday night will agree with me, but I thought it was sort of boring. All sorts of superlatives were being spouted as people made their way to the door after her 90-minute set. "Amazing." "Fantastic." "I think I died." It left me wondering what it was I didn't get.

No comments: