Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Money Shot: Beth Orton

The Brit folktress talks to Rolling Stone about her new record and upcoming tour...

For the pared-down record, Orton stripped away the electronic elements and lush orchestrations that were staples of her previous albums. "I wanted to make the music that I liked to listen to, and I wasn't listening to electronic music," she explains. "For me, the thread that runs through everything I love is soul, is folk . . . In the end, it came to me like, 'You know what I want to make? A folk-gospel-soul record with a country tear dripping down its cheek.' But then at the same time, I wanted to do that as sparsely and minimally as possible."
And the tour dates...

3/12: Washington, DC, 9:30 Club
3/13: Atlanta, Variety Playhouse
3/15: Austin, TX, South By Southwest
3/19: Denver, Gothic Theatre
3/20: Salt Lake City, Club Sound
3/23: San Diego, House of Blues
3/24: Hollywood, CA, Avalon
3/25: San Francisco, The Fillmore
3/27: Portland, OR, Wonder Ballroom
3/28: Seattle, The Showbox
3/29: Vancouver, Commodore Ballroom
4/1: Minneapolis, First Avenue
4/2: Madison, WI, Barrymore Theatre
4/3: Chicago, Vic Theatre
4/5: Detroit, The Majestic Theatre
4/6: Toronto, Carlu
4/7: Montreal, Club Soda
4/8: Boston, Avalon
4/10: Philadelphia, Theater of the Living Arts
4/11: New York, Webster Hall

No comments: